By Fahad Ahmad Bishara
Read or Download A Sea of Debt: Law and Economic Life in the Western Indian Ocean, 1780–1950 (Asian Connections) PDF
Best african history books
Not like so much books on slavery within the Americas, this social historical past of Africans and their enslaved descendants in colonial Costa Rica recounts the adventure of particular humans from West Africa to the hot international. Tracing the stories of Africans on Danish slave ships that arrived in Costa Rica in 1710, the Christianus Quintus and Fredericus Quartus, the writer examines slavery in Costa Rica from 1600 to 1750.
Exploring motion pictures made in Tunisia, Morocco, and Algeria from 1985 to 2009, Suzanne Gauch illustrates how overdue post-independence and early twenty-first century North African cinema prefigured a few of the modifications in conception and relation that shocked either contributors and onlookers in the course of the extraordinary uprisings of the 2011 Arab Spring.
The foundation of Anomy is a suite of essays compiled from 40 years of addresses and lectures through the celebrated Nigerian author and student Femi Osofisan, who additionally is going by way of the pen identify Okinba Launko. Coming from one of many significant figures of the modern literary scene in Africa, those essays are candid, thought-provoking, and scintillating.
Democradura: Essays On Nigeria’s restricted Democracy is a suite of articles penned by way of Professor Femi Mimiko, mni, over a 30-year interval. The wide subject is Nigeria's tortuous makes an attempt at development democracy and laying the foundation for nation-building and inclusive improvement, undertaken over the last fifty seven years of the country's relative political independence.
- Justice and Reconciliation in Post-Apartheid South Africa (Cambridge Studies in Law and Society)
- Illegible Will: Coercive Spectacles of Labor in South Africa and the Diaspora
- The Origins of the Libyan Nation: Colonial Legacy, Exile and the Emergence of a New Nation-State (Routledge Studies in Middle Eastern History)
- Des soldats tortionnaires (Le monde comme il va) (French Edition)
- The Decoys: A Tale of Three Atlantic Convoys, 1942
- Foreign Intervention, Warfare and Civil Wars: External Assistance and Belligerents' Choice of Strategy (Routledge Studies in Civil Wars and Intra-State Conflict)
Additional info for A Sea of Debt: Law and Economic Life in the Western Indian Ocean, 1780–1950 (Asian Connections)