By O. Okia
Read or Download Communal Labor in Colonial Kenya: The Legitimization of Coercion, 1912–1930 PDF
Best african history books
Not like so much books on slavery within the Americas, this social background of Africans and their enslaved descendants in colonial Costa Rica recounts the adventure of particular humans from West Africa to the recent global. Tracing the stories of Africans on Danish slave ships that arrived in Costa Rica in 1710, the Christianus Quintus and Fredericus Quartus, the writer examines slavery in Costa Rica from 1600 to 1750.
Exploring movies made in Tunisia, Morocco, and Algeria from 1985 to 2009, Suzanne Gauch illustrates how overdue post-independence and early twenty-first century North African cinema prefigured some of the differences in belief and relation that shocked either individuals and onlookers throughout the extraordinary uprisings of the 2011 Arab Spring.
The foundation of Anomy is a suite of essays compiled from 40 years of addresses and lectures via the prestigious Nigerian author and pupil Femi Osofisan, who additionally is going by way of the pen identify Okinba Launko. Coming from one of many significant figures of the modern literary scene in Africa, those essays are candid, thought-provoking, and scintillating.
Democradura: Essays On Nigeria’s constrained Democracy is a set of articles penned by means of Professor Femi Mimiko, mni, over a 30-year interval. The vast subject is Nigeria's tortuous makes an attempt at construction democracy and laying the root for nation-building and inclusive improvement, undertaken during the last fifty seven years of the country's relative political independence.
- An Introduction to the Politics of Tropical Africa (Routledge Library Editions: Development)
- Angels of Mercy: Foreign Women in the Anglo-Boer War
- From Slave Trade to Empire: European Colonisation of Black Africa 1780s-1880s (Routledge Studies in Modern European History)
- Libation: An Afrikan Ritual of Heritage in the Circle of Life
- Le colpe nascoste: I crimini di guerra italiani in Africa (Il tempo nel tempo) (Italian Edition)
- Rebel and Saint: Muslim Notables, Populist Protest, Colonial Encounters (Algeria and Tunisia, 1800-1904) (Comparative Studies on Muslim Societies)
Additional info for Communal Labor in Colonial Kenya: The Legitimization of Coercion, 1912–1930