By Anne Lobeck,Kristin Denham
An attractive and clean tackle the foundations and politics of English grammar, written in energetic prose. It is going a step extra than so much books on grammar by means of delivering an outline of the sector, with a dialogue of ancient and present debates approximately grammar, and the way we outline, speak about, and strategy it.
- Presents a unique, inquiry-based method of realizing audio system' subconscious wisdom of English grammar
- Makes lucid connections, whilst appropriate, with present linguistic theory
- Integrates language swap and edition into the examine of grammar
- Examines old assets of socially evaluative perceptions of grammar, as 'good' or 'bad', and notions of language authority
- Provides syntactic reasons for plenty of smooth punctuation rules
- Explores the various present controversies approximately grammar educating at school and the position of normal English in trying out and assessment
Read Online or Download Navigating English Grammar: A Guide to Analyzing Real Language PDF
Similar grammar books
This paintings originates from the necessity to improve an built-in dynamic version of negation in discourse that's sufficient for realizing the position of negation in an in depth and complicated piece of discourse. such a lot paintings on negation is strongly prompted by way of conventional philosopical difficulties, yet little paintings has been conducted within the sector of discourse.
In Indefinite gadgets, Luis López offers a singular method of the syntax-semantics interface utilizing indefinite noun words as a database. conventional ways map structural configurations to semantic interpretations without delay; López hyperlinks configuration to a style of semantic composition, with the latter yielding the translation.
During this e-book, Omer Preminger investigates how the compulsory nature of predicate-argument contract is enforced via the grammar. Preminger argues that an empirically sufficient concept of predicate-argument contract calls for recourse to an operation, whose obligatoriness is a grammatical primitive now not reducible to representational houses, yet whose profitable end result isn't really enforced via the grammar.
First released in 1985, this ebook goals to enhance an method of speech acts that has the advantage of being straight-forward, particular, formal and versatile adequate to deal with some of the extra normal difficulties of interactive verbal verbal exchange. the 1st bankruptcy introduces scenario semantics with the second one addressing the assumptions implied by means of the matter of representing speaker intentionality.
- Mundari Grammar and Exercises
- Arabic: An Essential Grammar (Routledge Essential Grammars)
- Morphological Aspects of Language Processing
- The Modular Architecture of Grammar (Cambridge Studies in Linguistics)
- Manual de escritura académica y profesional (Vol. I): Estrategias gramaticales (Spanish Edition)
- Some Syntactic Rules in Mohawk: Volume 13 (Routledge Library Editions: Syntax)
Additional resources for Navigating English Grammar: A Guide to Analyzing Real Language